Certificate Program in Sanskrit Proficiency – Beginner Phase
The foundation of 4 courses for students of all ages, from 9th Grade onward. It is the first of three successive phases – Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced, which together comprise the Certificate Program in Sanskrit Proficiency. It assumes no prior knowledge of the Sanskrit script or language. The medium of instruction is English, and the course is easily accessible for a global audience.
It is a 4 – Quarter, 44 – week detailed study that prepares beginner level students, i.e., those without any prior knowledge of Sanskrit, to achieve a level of comfort with the Sanskrit language that will enable them to enter the higher-level courses with ease.
The Beginner Level CPSP is aimed at high school students and adults with a passion to learn a new language, those who are keen to engage with the texts and literature of Hinduism and its numerous derivative knowledge systems. It is taught by dedicated HUA Faculty members, via a user-friendly Online Platform, featuring a learning model that uses live virtual classrooms.
This course is structured to allow a beginner level student to start listening, writing, and reading the Sanskrit Script DevanAgari through a streamlined set of exercises. In this phase, the students will be able to:
- Understand the origin of various sounds in Sanskrit.
- Pronounce and writing the Sanskrit alphabets that are single letters, both vowels, and consonants.
- Pronounce and writing the Sanskrit combination letters and using them in forming words.
- Recite simple Sanskrit verses with the correct pronunciation.
- Read and write simple prose passages in DevanAgari and build basic vocabulary.
- Complete simple exercises and gaining the right skills required for further studies in Sanskrit.
- Study purusha, vacana, and linga in depth.
- Engage in simple reading and conversation.
- Combine words and phrases for short narratives.
The Certificate Program in Sanskrit Proficiency – Beginner Phase is structured in the form of 4 quarters (1 year) sequence, 1.5 Credit hours each. This will add up to 60 hours of instruction and 120 hours of self-study in total. Structured innovatively using the curriculum and textbooks designed by Samskrita Bharati USA (SBusa.org), the Program will be based upon material contained in the SBusa published books, “ Ayanam ” “SaariNee”, “Prapadya ” & “Supada” augmented with other appropriate course content.
At the end of the 4th quarter, students may enter the intermediate phase of the Certificate Program in Sanskrit Proficiency which will also consist of 4 quarters i.e., 44 weeks.
Required / Elective: Required
Prerequisites: Admission into a Certificate Program in Sanskrit Proficiency – Beginner Phase
Faculty / Instructor: Shri. Chandrasekar Raghu, Shri. Srinath Chakravarty,
Quarter Offered: Summer 2023