This course is structured in the form of one Quarter (10 weeks, 1.5 hours per week). Students will take a “Sanskrit Script Proficiency Test” at the end of the course during the 11th week. Structured innovatively using the curriculum and textbooks designed by Samskrita Bharati USA (SBusa.org), the course will be based upon material contained in the SB – USA – published books, “AYANAM”, “SAARINEE”, and “PRAPADYAA”, augmented with other appropriate course content.
This course is structured to allow a beginner level student to start listening, writing, and reading the DevanAgari Script ) through a streamlined set of exercises.
Learning Objectives: In this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the origin of various sounds in Sanskrit.
- Pronouncing and writing the Sanskrit alphabets that are single letters, both vowels, and consonants.
- Pronouncing and writing the Sanskrit combination letters and using them in forming words.
- Reciting simple Sanskrit verses with the correct pronunciation.
- Reading and writing simple prose passages in DevanAgari and build basic vocabulary.
- Completing simple exercises and gaining the right skills required for further studies in Sanskrit.
The course fee includes the cost of tuition, 3 textbooks and shipping & handling cost of the textbooks.
Required / Elective: Required
Program of Study: Certificate Program in Sanskrit Proficiency (CP SP)
Area of Study: Sanskrit Studies
Quarter Offered: Summer 2020
Start Date: July 7th, 2020
End Date: September 15th, 2020
Day: Every Tuesday
Time: 9:00-10:30pm EST