Hindu University of America’s Certificate Program in Sanskrit through the Bhagavad Geeta provides an alternative route to achieving Sanskrit Proficiency. It enables students to learn both the Bhagavad Geeta through the Sanskrit Language, and the Sanskrit Language through the Bhagavad Geeta. It is a two-year intensive program of study that prepares beginning students, i.e., with no prior fluency or knowledge of Sanskrit, to achieve proficiency with the Sanskrit language (Samskritam) through the study of the Bhagavad Geeta. In this program, the Faculty will lead the students verse by verse, in sequence through the Bhagavad Geeta, while simultaneously unfolding both the meanings of the verses as well as the nuances of the language. This program aims to enable the students to study the Bhagavad Geeta directly without translation or mediation, and gain proficiency in conversational Sanskrit i.e., the ability to speak fluently and comprehend easily. At the end of this program, students will be able to access other Shastras in the Sanskrit language with ease on their own.
This program represents a foundation curriculum for students of all ages ranging from High School onwards. It is targeted at beginning students with a passion to learn a new language, as well as those who are keen to engage with the Bhagavad Geeta, in its original language. No prior knowledge of Sanskrit is assumed except for familiarity with the Devanagari script. The medium of teaching will be fully in Sanskrit with some assistance in English to bring students up to speed quickly. Students with some familiarity with the Devanagari Script and any one Indian language (Bharatiya Bhasha), will have an easier access to this Program.
It is taught by HUA’s dedicated Faculty, using an easy-to-use Online Platform, featuring a hybrid learning model with both live virtual classrooms as well as pre-recorded video material.
Program Learning Objectives:
The Program is both intensive and challenging, enabling the systematic and balanced study of the Sanskrit language through the Bhagavad Geeta and the Bhagavad Geeta through the Sanskrit language along six dimensions.
In completing this Program, the students will gain proficiency in:
- Appreciating the Bhagavad Geeta, while gaining access to the text’s original intent and message
- Reading Bhagavad Geeta fluently, and pronouncing the syllables correctly – paThanam / uchchAraNam
- Listening to Sanskrit conversations and comprehending most of the words spoken – shravaNam
- Speaking grammatically accurate Sanskrit in a way that others can comprehend and respond – sambhAShaNam
- Understanding the structure, patterns, and technology of the language – vyAkaraNam, and
- Comprehending the verses of the Bhagavad Geeta in both spoken and written Sanskrit on their own – avagamanam.
- Writing comprehensible passages in Sanskrit – lekhanam
The Program of Study is structured in the form of an 8-Quarter (4 Quarters per year) sequence of 8 courses, 3-Credit hours each. This will add up to 240 hours of instruction and 480 hours of self-study. Students will have the option of taking the “M.A Sanskrit Proficiency Test” at any time after the half-way point, i.e., after the first year of study, and advance to:
- the Master’s Level Certificate Programs, or
- the Master’s Degree in Sanskrit, or
- complete the Bhagavad Geeta Proficiency Certificate course in full.
In any case, students will be participating in a “Higher Education” ecosystem that supports and enables advanced learning in Hindu studies as well as Sanskrit literary studies.
Structured innovatively using the base curriculum and textbooks designed by Samskrita Bharati, the Program will be based on the material contained in the books titled “geetaasopaanam” and “geetaapraveshaH”, augmented with supplemental handouts and other texts.
Division: Continuing Education Division
Number of Credits: 24 Credit Hours
Number of Courses: 8 Courses
Number of Quarters: 8 Quarters