Dr. Damal.Kandadai.Hari hails from an Indian traditional family, with its roots in Kancheepuram, a very ancient town of India, which has been the silk center of the South through the ages and is also known for its age-old temples, saints and scholars.
He had his schooling in Rishi Valley School, then graduated from Madras Christian College and did his postgraduation in Business Administration from P.S.G College of Technology, Coimbatore.
He has had a 20 year career as a management professional, managing the family businesses in various verticals such as Oil and Gas and FMCG supply chain for 8 years and heading the Marketing for a building industry product company for 12 years, during which he established the brand and sales network in India and abroad.
Post this, he has chosen to follow the calling in his life, with the pursuit and seeking of knowledge through questioning – a temper influenced by his schooling in Rishi Valley.
In The Field of Civilizational Studies
Dr.D.K.Hari and his wife, Dr. D.K.Hema Hari, together, started the Bharath Gyan initiative in Civilizational Studies in the year 2000. Bharath Gyan follows an interdisciplinary approach to researching on India from an Indian perspective and provides an integrated, Indic narrative of the Indian civilization.
To date in 2020, based on the researched compilation of 500+ hours of multimedia content across 108+ subjects, he and his wife have co-authored and brought out the following publications on the Indian Civilization.
- 40+ books on the Indian Civilization in English and their translations into Hindi, Kannada, Marathi, Gujarati and Tamil
- 300+ short films on Indian Civilization for Social Media
- 5 Documentaries
- 60+ Mini books
- 600+ articles on blog
- Regular contribution of articles to various magazines
- Daily updates of the significance of the day on Facebook and Twitter.
He has given over 250 joint multimedia talks with his wife, in India and abroad on diverse subjects to wide audiences such as
- International conferences including
- Civil BRICS,
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas,
- World Sanskrit Conferences,
- KAICIID Interfaith Conferences organized by the Vatican, King of Saudi and the Austrian Govt,
- World Ramayana Conferences,
- Conferences on Mahabharata,
- Conferences on Veda, Cosmology, Science, Technology and Spirituality
- International Women’s Conferences,
- Ramayana Conferences for Tour Operators in Sri Lanka etc.
- Research institutions eg. Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Indian Institute of Sciences (IISc), Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Coast Guard, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL)…
- TED conducted talks
- Educational institutions, both private and public funded schools and colleges, various University Departments, UGC Faculty Refresher Courses etc.
- Professional bodies such as Project Management Institute (PMI), Madras Management Association (MMA), FICCI Ladies Organization (FLO), Madras Bar Association etc.
- Social Forums, Organizations and NGOs in the field of Water, Agriculture, Education, Women’s Empowerment, Ancient Knowledge Systems etc. and
- Many Television Interviews – Live and Recorded.
He has been a member of the Civil BRICS delegation to Moscow in 2015.
Bharath Gyan is a Knowledge Partner for the Bharat Ko Janiye program of the Ministry of External Affairs.
Besides Bharath Gyan, Dr. D.K.Hari is also involved in various social activities such as the board of management of,
- Hindu Mission Hospital – a 250 bed, multidisciplinary, charity based hospital in Tambaram, Chennai
- Valluvar Gurukulam – a school for educating first-generation children in Tambaram, Chennai
- Dakshina Chitra – a heritage village, Chennai
- Sri Dev Kunwar Nanalal Bhat Vaishnava College, Chennai
- Bala Vidya Mandir School, Adyar, Chennai
- Prof. K.V.Sarma Research Foundation, Chennai – a foundation for Research in Indian Sciences
- Bodhidharma Dojo Foundation – a foundation for Bodhidharma Memorial Park, Kanchipuram.
Awards and Recognitions
- Honoris Causa Doctorate, Ph.D. awarded by Sri Sri University on September 5th, 2019 for 2 decades of research in Civilizational Studies and publishing many books, films, and writings.
- Shri. B.R.Haran Memorial Award on August 14th, 2019
- Visalakshi Award from the Art of Living in Bengaluru, on February 23rd,2018 for the pioneering efforts to repurpose ancient knowledge for the modern age.
- Opinions on Bharath Gyan compilation, from prominent persons in society such as
- Dr. A.P.J.Abdul Kalam, Former President of India
- Mr.Amitabh Bachchan,
- Pujya Sri Pramukh Swami ji of Swami Narayan BAPS,
- Swami Dayananda Saraswathi etc.