This course is structured in the form of one Quarter (10 weeks, 1.5 hours per week). Students will take an exam at the end of the course during the 11th week. Structured innovatively using the curriculum and textbooks designed by Samskrita Bharati USA (SBusa.org), the course will be based upon material contained in the SB – USA – published books, “AYANAM” & “SAARINEE”, augmented with other appropriate course content.
This course is structured to allow a beginner level student to start listening, writing, and reading the DevanAgari Script through a streamlined set of exercises.
Learning Objectives: In this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the origin of various sounds in Sanskrit.
- Pronouncing and writing the Sanskrit alphabets that are single letters, both vowels, and consonants.
- Pronouncing and writing the Sanskrit combination letters and using them in forming words.
- Reciting simple Sanskrit verses with the correct pronunciation.
- Reading and writing simple prose passages in Devanagari and build basic vocabulary.
- Completing simple exercises and gaining the right skills required for further studies in Sanskrit.
The course fee includes the cost of tuition, 3 textbooks, and the shipping & handling cost of the textbooks.
Note: If you are registering from outside the United States, you will receive scanned copies of the textbooks. Use the below discount code at checkout for reduced textbook costs.
Required / Elective: Required
Program of Study: Beginner Level Certificate Program in Sanskrit Proficiency
Area of Study: Sanskrit Studies
Faculty / Instructor: Sri Chandrashekhar Raghu
Start Date: 12 April 2021
End Date: 21 June 2021
Time: 09:00 pm EST to 10:30 pm EST
Quarter Offered: Spring 2021