Managing Diabetes through Holistic Yoga
Yogic Management of Diabetes Mellitus is a course on holistic approach of yoga and concepts for a stress-free healthy lifestyle. In this course, students will explore the practices of yoga, such as asana (postures) and pranayama (breathing practices), along with the concept of ashtanga yoga and philosophy of yoga through the teachings of Patanjali Yoga Sutras and Bhagavad Gita. This course helps learn the role of mind in psychosomatic and chronic diseases and teaches the students the methods to calm down the mind amidst stressors.
Yoga is a philosophy-based approach to viewing oneself and the rest of the world with a paradigm-shift to bring lasting happiness through two concepts — Abhyasa (practice) and Vairagya (letting go). The deep-rooted habitual thought patterns require persevering practice (abhyasa). This course attempts to build that perseverance through sustained practice techniques. Along with it, this course also explains the concept of satvic and balanced diet and its role in management of diabetes.
This program covers 5 main curricular points:
- Learn yoga practices for management of Diabetes Mellitus.
- Understand stress and its effects on metabolic disorders such as diabetes.
- Role of pranayama and meditation in reducing blood glucose levels.
- Learn the concept of satvic and balanced diet and lifestyle for management of diabetes.
- Understand the framework of an integrated-approach to yoga based on Ashtanga yoga and pancha kosha model.
Faculty: Vinutha Kornaya, Shobha, Ishwarryah
Area of Study: Yoga Studies
Program: Community Education Program.
Start Date: 11th January 2021
End Date: 28th March 2021
Day: Every Monday & Thursday
Time: 07:00 pm EST – 08:-30 pm EST
Quarter Offered: Winter 2021